Thursday, July 07, 2011

No Task Bar, No Icons, No Nothing!

This was me this morning!  Our power shut down this morning, which shut down my computer - after a rebooting all I could see was my desktop image.  No task bar, no icons, no start menu...I think I rebooted 50 times trying all the f8, f11, f10, f12.  I emailed my "boss" (from Misty's laptop) and told her I was out of commission today.  Right after sending that email I find this paragraph on a forum:
Your computer thinks it has two monitors and only one woke up or they did not wake up at the same time.  All your icons are off to the left but you can't reach them.  Next time you are rebooted and running, go to your display control center (you may be able to get to it by right clicking on the desktop). If you see two monitors show as running and you only have one, then make the changes and apply so that you only have one.  I think my computer believed I had two because my monitor came with two cables (a VGA and some other type).  I hooked them both up, so the computer sees two output lines and doesn't know they go to the same screen. See if this works.
I so lucked out!  This is exactly what happened - I just plugged in the extra monitor cable this morning.  Phew!  Thankful for Misty's laptop and online forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment