Thursday, February 10, 2005

Last Of The Puppies

My sister-in-law came over last night and was telling about her rottweiler puppies. The mom had 11 puppies. The runt died a few days after birth, and they sold all but three of the puppies. About two weeks after Christmas, someone stole one of the puppies. They thought for sure it was someone who would always visit the house next door. Maybe two weeks later someone in the trailer park up the street from them called animal control about roaming dogs. The lady knew the puppy belonged to Tim and Misty. The puppy was sick when the got it back, she was throwing up everywhere. They took her to the vet and and found out she had parvo - they had to put her to sleep. This puppy had been with all the other dogs for at least two days, so they were watching the other puppies to see if they would also get it. Well, they did. Misty said they were so miserable - pooping and throwing up everywhere. The last day they had the puppies they came home from work and found them laying in their throw up because they had no energy to move anywhere else. Misty said that she and Tim talked about taking the two puppies to the vet to be put to sleep. It was either that or take them up to the mountains and take care of it themselves. Well, because of the outrageous cost of euthanizing Tim decided to do it himself. He took a friend to help him, but when they stopped the truck the friend told Tim he wasn't getting out of the truck. So Tim had to do it himself. The story wouldn't have been bad except that she went into a little more detail than I wanted to hear. I started crying, I couldn't help it. Misty said that it took more than one shot, and that the boy puppy tried to run away - this is still less detail than she gave. Actually, I didn't cry, I was bawling. Yes, I am a big, huge baby. Tim said that if he could do the whole thing over he would have taken them to the vet - it's worth the money. They have also decided to get Macie fixed. The parvo bacteria or virus stays in the ground for years after a dog has it, and dealing with puppies once was enough.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:54 PM

    Tanya, this is too sad, I wish they all go to the better place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was very, very sad. "All Dogs Go To Heaven." :)

    ReplyDelete