Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Joey's First ER Visit



It was a nice cool evening and we were all outside enjoying the refreshing air. Kayla was riding around on her bike, Joey was following Jaida around and I was reading book. Pretty soon Kayla came riding up to her favorite spot where she gets one tire on the grass and one tire on the sidewalk. Her back tire is off the ground so she can pedal and pedal to her hearts content and not go anywhere.

Joey saw her "stuck" and came over to see what was going on. He sat down by the back of the bike and was completely engulfed in curiosity. Monty came out and kept telling Kayla, "Stop pedaling, Joey's going to stick his finger in your bike." Well, if you know Kayla, she likes to do the very opposite of what you say.

A couple drove up and were asking directions so Monty was distracted from Kayla and she began to pedal away. Pretty soon I hear Joey start crying, look up from my book and he's definitely got his finger stuck somewhere in Kayla's bike. Monty and I run over and Monty grabs Kayla off her bike and I grab Joey. He has already started bleeding all over. I take him into the house to wash off his finger and it was just a nasty, nasty cut. I told Monty that we need to take him to the hospital.

I'm getting my purse and Monty takes the girls to Mendenhall's and we head to the ER. We of course had to wait out in the lobby for a bit before someone came to get us while Joey is crying and bleeding all over. The waiting for something to be done is the WORST part. How can you let a little baby cry for so long! The ER doctor was already stitching someone up so we had to wait for him.

They had to take Joey back for x-ray's and since I was pregnant I couldn't go. So Monty took him out and Joey is just reaching for me and crying, "Mom". I couldn't help it then, and had to cry a little.

They had to put him in a straight jacket (literally), gave him some lortab, numbed up his finger, and began to stitch him up. I think he got about seven stitches and the end bone was also broken. After stitching him up they gave him some medicine and told us to wait for 15 minutes before we could go. In about five minutes Joey fell asleep.

We put Joey in the car where he woke up and drove to the pharmacy. Joey started saying, "Whoahhhh." I think it was about the stop lights? He seemed to be in a good mood now, and his finger wasn't bothering him at all. The lortab had kicked in.

We got home where we found that Misty had come and got the girls and had cleaned the WHOLE house. Great surprise! The girls were really happy to see that Joey was okay. So then Joey started getting hyper. He would run down the hall, come back, climb onto the couch, jump off and take off down the hall again. He kept doing this and other crazy things. At one point I had him in the chair with me and we were watching a cartoon. All of a sudden he would bust out in a laugh, or point at the tv and say, "Whoahhh."

It was pretty hilarious and I'm sad we didn't get any video. He did that for a couple of hours and the only way we finally settled him down was to turn out all the lights and lay him down by me.

Joey is doing great now and refuses to keep a band-aid on. We didn't get any good pics of his finger but hopefully he won't stick his finger in any more bikes to give us another chance at it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, poor little guy. Gald to hear he is feeling better.
    that is the worse feeling when you can't help your kid. I would be crying too!
    And congratulations on the baby! I just told Paul and he said "hum, didn't she only want one baby?!" LOL
    You are a great wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete