Friday, July 29, 2005

Girls Camp

Wow, picture going back to girls camp ten years later, when you are an adult and have a different perspective on life. That was me yesterday. It's so funny how some things never change. Girls getting hurt right away, girls feeling left out right away, and oh yes, secret sisters starting right away. It was quite a fun, and sometimes eye-rolling couple of hours. We of course had to start out with a skit. If I can get a hold of someone's camera I'll maybe post pictures. We leaders came onto our elaborate stage wearing our swimming suits over our clothes complete with goggles and swim caps. We were supposed to be doing a synchronized water ballet. However to the audience members laughing we probably looked more like mountain women gone wild dancing around what they thought was water but ended up being green paper with blue painted sprays.

The few hours I was up there I was able to get to know some of the girls a little better. For most of the girls I was able to picture a completely different face, probably knowing how that person is in school, how they are treated, and possibly what might happen as they grow up. It's sad really, you want them to see that they are important and loved and that a dirty look doesn't mean anything in the big picture (and was it actually a dirty look, or was the person squinting into the sun...?). But I was once their age and realize that they will only learn this on their own and realize for themselves that sometimes life isn't fair but its not the end of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment